The Relationship Blogger – Origins and Evolution
The Relationship Blogger was established some years ago by mental wellness and relationship coach, Raymond Baxter. This site began as a home for what he has learned through personal experience and work with individuals in the Mental Health sector, and as a medium for connecting the dots between people to encourage love, clarity, understanding and well-being.
In 2016, Raymond wanted to deepen his writing and broaden his readership. He began studying the tactics and products of social media and blogging experts (ultimately starting a separate site dedicated to understanding web presence and growth), and working with a writing coach to improve his ability to engage more difficult and personal topics. Growth happened, and quickly.
As his reach increased, Raymond began to hear from others who wanted to share their own stories. He launched a Survivor Series and later began introducing writers on his Huffington Post blog. He also began writing for Open Thought Vortex, becoming one of the Top 5 Most Read writers of 2016, as well as having his work featured in multiple other online publications.
The stories didn’t stop coming, a natural result of his open, honest and intimate posts on love, life and mental health. Whether individuals agreed or disagreed with his articles on TRB, or they simply wanted to be heard, Raymond found himself working to give them a platform. In the meantime, Raymond found himself drawn more and more to public speaking in the form of vlogs and podcasts.
Raymond saw the next best step to increasing the number of voices heard was to open TRB up so every person has a chance to be The Relationship Blogger. A call for submissions was published 13 March 2017 announcing the transformation and launch of TRB from a one-man blog to syndicated, multi-voice, multimedia publication officially launching 1 April 2017. To this end, he brought on his writing coach from across the pond, Shawna Ayoub Ainslie, to serve as TRB Editor-in-Chief.
Today, The Relationship Blogger is a platform dedicated to showcasing diversity in relationships, mental health and their intersection with the goal of spreading positivity through awareness in a challenging global climate. See the above linked submissions call to join the team.
Raymond Baxter, the Original Relationship Blogger, in His Own Words
My name is Raymond Baxter, and welcome to my blog-turned-publication, The Relationship Blogger. I’ve had a hard old life, me. Fraught with absent fathers, an abusive childhood, an alcohol and drug-induced youth, several spells in psychiatric hospitals and a long period of recovery. If you could call it that.
In the latter half of 2006 I sat in my darkened room crying because I couldn’t afford electricity or the gas to heat a proper bath. I had just been forced to take redundancy from my position because of my drinking. I sat on my bed and realised that something had to change. My life was going nowhere and I was on the path to the gutter sooner rather than later with my addictive ways and my thirst for utter chaos. I sat there and thought to myself that change is looming else it’s the Grim Reaper.
Through a long journey of excited discovery and tears, I walked upon the path of change and never looked back. I progressed from unskilled work to fully-skilled and technical positions. I learned, I strived. I looked deep into myself. I saw the man that I was and the ideas that made my clogs turned. I did it. I changed.
And if I can do it–silly old Raymond that liked the vodka too much that didn’t have too much “up there”–then so can you, my friend.
We live in a world that tells you who you are and the way things need to be. I’m here to put a spanner in that thought process. I want you to ask yourself, “Who YOU are and what do YOU want to be?” Let’s journey this together, my friend.
This site is ever growing. Life tips, dating tips, mental health ideas and struggles, my struggles, how I overcame struggles and much more. More voices. Your voices! Have a look around. And if you have any questions PLEASE ask me. I’m always up for a chat.
If you’d like to get to know a little bit more about me I’ve written a little random facts list below. See what you think!
16 RANDOM FACTS ABOUT MYSELF
- I spent 5 years in the good old U.S.S.R. behind the Iron Curtain in my childhood.
- I spent a good 8 years as a single man, albeit not for the lack of trying.
- I was once an alcoholic and dedicated 10 years of my life to change.
- I was once picked for the Scotland Under 14’s Golf Team.
- I mentored a gentleman over a period of two years who went on to win a national award.
- I live in England but I am originally from Scotland.
- I really am dedicated to change. I’d love for you to try my better yourself section. See what you think. And please tell me if it benefited you. I love success stories.
- My dad worked in the nuclear industry which had us travelling the world when I was young. Thus my time in the U.S.S.R.
- I’m extremely open to differing viewpoints – please feel free to leave a comment! Everyone welcome.
- I was diagnosed with Bipolar Schizo-effective Disorder that was later re-diagnosed to nothing.
- I was a Trustee at my local Citizens Advice Bureau.
- I’ve had an extremely diverse and difficult youth and young adulthood.
- I have a lovely wife and son that I am continually learning from.
- My son, bless him, has Autism.
- I use blogging for self-analysis.
- If you want to start up a conversation with me ask me what my favourite coffee is. That’ll get me going!